|Marathon & Half Marathon Training • Relay & 5K Training • Q&A with Dr. Rahl
Baylor Quick Tips
5 Months to 5 Miles Relay Training Program
The world-renowned Cooper Aerobics Center has created a unique training program called “5 Months to 5 Miles” to help five-person teams prepare for the 5-Person Relay or the SMU Cox Corporate Relay Challenge Presented by Behringer Harvard.
“5 Months to 5 Miles” is a progressive month-by-month regimen that is flexible enough to accommodate the schedule of the busiest corporate professional.
Training Plan Basics
The 20-week plan begins at the end of July; however, participants can begin any time. The plan is appropriate for three levels: non-runners (B=Basic); runners currently able to run 2 to 3 times per week up to 30 minutes (I=Intermediate); or those consistently running four to five times a week, up to one hour per run (A=Advanced); or for those who wish to follow a structured plan.
The plan includes optional runs or cross training: a fourth run for Intermediate or fifth run for Advanced; and alternative cross training for all levels. This plan requires that each run count. Total time duration listed includes a very easy 3-5 minute warm-up and cool-down. For Intermediate and Advanced, aim to separate higher-intensity efforts with a rest or recovery day, or a cross training day (for example between Tuesday and Thursday) and the long run. Bottom Line: make the training plan fit your schedule and adjust the days as needed!
The cardinal rule for a new runner, or someone returning to exercise: be patient. You’re brimming with enthusiasm and looking for tips. Your body needs time to adapt. Activity may be uncomfortable at first, but you’ll begin to see results. It’s important to build gradually.
- Run more slowly than you think you should, and insert walk segments.
- The first 3-4 weeks don’t run as far as you think you should.
- Run more often than you think you should, or have time for, but short distances.
3 Months to 3 Miles Mayor’s Race 5K Training Program
Training Program Goals
- Encourage and promote a healthy lifestyle to individuals and families of all ages by participating in the Mayors Race 5k Fun Run & Walk, a fun, low cost, non-competitive activity.
- Create an opportunity to enhance family fitness resulting in a healthier community.
- Create an opportunity to participate in associated activities surrounding the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon weekend such as the Health & Fitness Expo.